Sunday, February 20, 2011

Submerged.

The Four Seasons

It was always a hot summer
In the days we used to play
I could say it doesn't matter
But I'd give me all away
Now an autumn has passed and another one, too,
There will be many springs now,
All without you

Our old Kansas winters won't see you again
And neither will I
Till my seasons end
What hurts selfish me is not that you've gone,
But that I am still here,
And I'm all alone.

Spring, winter, and fall run into each other
I hope where you are it is one endless summer.

Paullina Simons
Author of 'Tully', The International Bestseller


I must admit my first impression of the book was not a huge one. But somehow Tully sucked me in and now I'm already halfway through her life's story. I like the author's attention to certain details. Her distinct style of describing people's emotions is crackerjack! From the way Natalie Ann Makker endured an abusive childhood to her transformation into a tough and rebellious young lady, Paullina Simons captures a (so far, at page 255 out of 600 over pages) tragic novel set in the 1970s about love, loss, restrictions and choices that envelope three girls' lives.

At this point I have learnt from the novel that courage and strength are such important elements for human beings to survive. Even then, possessing them both consumes a lot of energy and in the end, leaves the idea of life not well lived.

Moral of the story? Be thankful I have never been abused. :P ...I'm actually not kidding though. Innocent children technically parentless (in other words having parents with no hearts) are experiencing purgatory which really does not differ from that sufferred by young victims of slavery / genocide / discrimination / labour etcetera, etcetera.


So, for those of you who can only read or listen about the distress and agony of such people, count your blessings daily. No doubt our everyday problems are extensive enough to make us want to pull our hair out, cut ourselves (Shout out to a certain someone, I hope you've stopped the gross habit), cry until the well of tears dry up, or even jump off a building (which happened to more than enough overly stressed students in Malaysia). Nevertheless you can always be grateful you were / are not subjected to aforementioned misery.


Anyway, back to the book ! Aaaand credits to my darling sister, Melissa for quenching my boredom with the few new novels you've bought.



(:



No comments:

Post a Comment